Thursday, May 7, 2009

Tuesday - Sebastião Salgado at the Hammer



For some reason I've been seeing him knocked a lot recently, but I must say Ansel Adams was my first B&W (or photographic for that matter) love. I'd been to Yosemite on a number of Cub Scout outings as a child and when I first came across his work and saw these places I'd been to and seen but never in this way his photographs portrayed them, it made me ask my best friend to teach me how to develop in the darkroom. For that, his work will always hold a special place in my heart.

My second B&W love is Sebastião Salgado. To me, no one else compares and if you've never spent any significant alone time with one of his books, I can't recommend it enough.

We're blessed to have the rare opportunity to see him speak at the Hammer on Tuesday at 7pm. Tickets are first-come, first-served starting at 6pm.

Info here.

Work from his Africa book will also be in a show at Peter Fetterman Gallery through September.

No comments: